As a way of sharing with you my highlights of 2014, I have decided to participate in Jamie's end of year book survey. I think it's a lovely way of recapping everything and I want to make sure I can remember how brilliant 2014 was. :)
Before I start, a quick note: Thank you. It's been a full year, and many of you have followed me through 2014's bloggy journey and it has been truly lovely. But you guys have contributed to a huge part of that and it would not have been complete with all your support. Thank you, and have a brilliant new year- I hope to keep on sharing my bookish thoughts with you in 2014. ;D
Number Of Books You Read: 53. I planned to read 100 but then the reality of how busy I was ended up getting in the way...
Number of Re-Reads: 0. I don't tend to re-read books in the first place, but with my lack of reading this year- no way was it going to happen... :(
Genre You Read The Most From: I mostly read Fantasy/Adventure books, but I'm proud to say that I started reading loads more contemporary novels and LOVED it!
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Fantasy: Heir of Fire was that badass book I needed this year.
Adventure: Code Name Verity made me cry my eyes out and I just wanted to hug it and sob some more everytime I looked at it.
Thriller: If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch has me reeling. It was amazing.
Contemporary: Since You've Been Gone and Fangirl completed me in terms of fluffiness and general squealing.
Sci-Fi: The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer has become one of my favourites series EVER. THORNE <3
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I think there are two books that fit in this category: Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo, and The Diviners by Libba Bray. With S&B I just didn't feel the hype that made me excited for it, and with The Diviners everything pointed to me loving it but I just didn't.. :(
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The Moment Collector, hands down. I have a love-hate relationship with that book. I hate it for what it did to my feels, but the skill it takes to write a book like that needs a HUGE round of applause. I did not expect it at all.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Umm.. to be honest, I always tell people to read a bunch of books. I'm not sure how many listen apart from my Mum (She's AWESOME) but my answer is: ALL THE 5 STAR BOOKS.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series has to go to The Lunar Chronicles. I have no words for how much I love that series. Best Sequel goes to Heir of Fire, and best series ender to City of Heavenly Fire. You do not need to know how much I sobbed because of that.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Probably Lucy Saxon. She wrote Take Back the Skies which destroyed me with it's perfectness and horrific ending which I still haven't recovered from. I'm in denial. She's pretty awesome, as you can tell. ;)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don't feel like I read any books that were out of my comfort zone, actually... I'm not really sure.. Well, I guess I don't typically read biographies, and I read I Am Malala this year, which was brilliant.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Code Name Verity. That is a thrilling book and you can't put it down because you NEED to know what happens to those beloved characters.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
If I even manage to re-read, it will possibly be Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan, because it was such a fun book!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I really love the Cruel Beauty cover. It is gorgeous because of how the staircase make up rose and IT'S JUST SO TALENTED.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Verity from Code Name Verity. She was astounding. She was brave, sassy and a loving best friend. Definitely not an easy character to forget.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I think perhaps it was The Witch of Salt and Storm by Kendall Kuper. Gosh, it made me cry so much and it really was beautiful and I wrote a letter to it because I had to have a go at replying to those beautiful words.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
If You Find Me. It was such a hard-hitting book about this terrible life two sisters had been living. It was the only life they ever knew, and watching them not know anything but those things no one should have to experience was difficult- and it made me angry.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
I think that title belongs to Will Grayson, Will Grayson. After my friend finally got me to read it, I ended up being a hardcore shipper of EVERYONE in that book. Lets not forget: GO TINY!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
"And then I'm going to rattle the stars." - Celaena Sardothien, Heir of Fire
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (138 pgs)
Longest: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (725 pgs)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Once again, it has to be The Moment Collector. The ending was so unexpected and it left me with a unravelled ball of feels that I had no idea what to do with.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
THORNE AND CRESS FROM THE LUNAR CHRONICLES OH MY GOSH. I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP. I SHIP IT SO BAD. LIKE I WILL LITERALLY EVAPORATE THE OCEAN IF IT SINKS. I WON'T PUT MY FLAG UP AND SURRENDER. *Sings* THERE WILL BE NO WHITE FLAG ON MYYY DOOORRRR. I'M LOOVVEEE- Okay. You get it.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
It has to be Sloane and Emily from Since You've Been Gone. Their friendship is what made that book a perfect ball of EVERYTHING and it really resounded with me and made me think.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I think Come Back To Me by Mila Gray. That's another name for Sarah Alderson that she's started writing NA books under. CBTM was my first NA book as well and I really, really enjoyed- just like I have with the rest of Sarah's books!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Shadow & Bone comes to mind based on the hype that was surrounding it. Everyone seemed to love it so much that I was really, really excited for it! Now that I'm looking back, I think I was quite disappointed by it.. :(
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I think I've got to choose Fox from Take Back the Skies.. Awww, my little baby. He is GORGEOUS and I love him way to much and omg. FOX. <3
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Prisoner of Night and Fog was definitely my favourite, I think. The more I thought about it, the more I loved it. I also enjoyed the WW2 Germany setting too, as I had never read a book set there before.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Sarah J Maas's Throne of Glass series always has gorgeous world building. It's flawless, and I can always picture the settings even after I've read it.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell!! That is one of my favorite Contemporary books, because it put a smile on my face CONSTANTLY!! I got another OTP, and LEVIIII <3
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
I'm really trying to include a variety of books but, it's HARD! SO MANY books made me cry- City of Heavenly Fire, Heir of Fire, Code Name Verity, If You Find Me, Take Back the Skies, Since You've Been Gone, The Witch of Salt and Storm. THEY'VE ALL HURT MY FEELS.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Listening For Lucca by Suzanne LaFleur. It's such a simple little book that ends up working perfectly in every single way.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Take Back the Skies. WHY?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I'd say A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. All the different POVs made it so different to anything else I read. Plus some were really unexpected like a squirrel and a bench!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I'm just going to address all my favourite books. Dear Books, did you kill/sink my OTP? Yes? I'm mad. ;)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I discover so many new blogs that it's impossible to choose one: just know I love you all!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
It has to be my review of If You Find Me because of the wonderful reaction is got from the lovely author, Emily Murdoch. She told me it made her cry, and that made me cry and it reminded me of why I read and blog- because I just want to share that special bookish love with people.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I have had some awesome people do discussions with me, but I think I have a special soft spot for me and my sister's discussions, and also me and Zoe's bookified songs- including Wrecking Ball.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
OOOHH, it has to be the Divergent Premiere (I'm still not over that. I went to a PREMIERE. I walked on the RED CARPET. EEEK!) and also meeting Cassandra Clare. (Sqqquuueeee!)
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Whilst those above were amazing moments of blogging life, I think I have to say having so many people participate in my blogoversary was EPIC! THANK YOU GUYS!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By views (and not counting giveaways) it was my post on the Girl Online controversary. I talked about how I think it does matter, but not necessarily because of the ghost writing.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I did quite a long post on the subject of idols and how people look up to others, and I would quite have liked that to get a little more love..! :)
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Not exactly a discovery BUT I want to draw attention to just how awesome Seven Stories is. They're a whole centre with loads of amazing exhibitions on books- you should definitely go! ;)
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes! My Goodreads reading challenge was change to 50 halfway through 2014, but it did mean that I completed it! YAYY!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I haven't got round to reading The Memory Keepers by Natasha Ngan, but I defiinitely will be reading it in 2015!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Ah, I did a whole post on that two days ago.. You should go have a look ;D
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
There is a book called Red Queen that looks quite interesting... I shall have to wait and see!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
END OF DAYS BY SUSAN EE IS COMING. OH MY GOODNESS. EEEEEEKKKKK.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Read 100 books, and keep at it! I also want to incorporate lots of new creative posts into this blog. I just set up a lifestyle blog too, and I'm really excited for this new adventure- it's very different to book blogging so far but I'm loving it!
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Umm, I'm not sure I've read any yet, haha! I'm saving them all ;)